Doing your PhD at the Faculty of Arts
General information about doing your PhD at the KU Leuven can be found at the University's information page about PhD's.
Applying for admission
Interested in doing a PhD at the Faculty of Arts? The first step is that you need to find a supervisor who is willing to support your research project. You must have contacted your future supervisor before you can start applying for admission.
Once you have found a KU Leuven supervisor, please complete the following steps to gain admission to enroll as a doctoral student:
- Complete the online registration procedure of the KU Leuven International Admissions and Mobility Unit (only for foreign students and Belgian students who did not obtain a Flemish MA-degree).
- Wait for approval of the doctoral committee of your future research unit.
- Once your application is approved by the doctoral committee, you will be invited to enroll as a doctoral student at the Registrar's Office (University Hall, Naamsestraat 22, 3000 Leuven).
Forms and regulations
- Predoctoral Studies at KU Leuven
- Regulations concerning the attainment of doctoral degrees at KU Leuven, supplemented with the particulars of the Faculty of Arts
- Practical guidelines concerning the attainment of a joint or a double doctoral degree at KU Leuven
- Doctoral degrees at the Faculty of Arts
Doctoral education at the Faculty of Arts
- All doctoral students are expected to take part in the doctoral education programme. At the Faculty of Arts, the doctoral education programme is organised by your research unit and/or your research group. Some research units provide specific seminars to their PhD-students, where you are encouraged to participate in the discussions. Please, contact to following persons for more information about the seminars in your research unit.
- Archaeology, Art History and Musicology: Veerle Hompes (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Area Studies: Choumicha Ridouani (email@example.com)
- History: Magaly Rodriguez Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Linguistics: Karen Lahousse (email@example.com);
- Literature: Carmen Van den Bergh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Liesbeth François (email@example.com);
- Translation Studies: Lieve Behiels (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- The Arts: Dieter De Vlieghere (email@example.com).
- The doctoral education programme consists of different components. More information can be found here.
- Here you can find all necesarry forms for the different components of the doctoral education programme.
Preparing your defence
- How to apply for admission to defend your thesis.
- Click here for some practical guidelines on preparing your thesis defence.
- Financial support for your defence.
Contact: please do not hesitate to contact Matthias Meirlaen (firstname.lastname@example.org), the research policy officer of the faculty, whenever you have any questions related to your doctoral education or your defence.