In 1989 the University of Leuven created a special research programme in Translation Studies in order to promote research training in the study of translational phenomena and to stimulate high-level research into the cultural functions of translation. This unique programme — first sponsored by CERA Bank, then supported by the Institut Libre Marie Haps, later by the Scuola Superiore per Traduttori e Interpreti San Pellegrino (1997 - 2006), by the Libera Università degli Studi S. Pio V° (1999-2001), by the Università degli Studi "La Sapienza" Roma, by the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid and by the Universidad de Tarragona — attracts talented students and young scholars. In 2006 the name of the Centre was changed into Centre for Translation Studies. CETRA is now part of the integrated Faculty of Arts. Its institutional partners are Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel and University College Lessius.
About the Centre
The main activities of the Centre are:
To offer a forum for the integration of all research concerning translation and interpreting studies:
- Support and coordination of the academisation process in the domain of translation studies.
- To plan, to attract and to perform several forms of scientific research in translation studies.
- To coordinate and organize an international PhD education of 60 ECTS credits and to exchange teachers and students within the framework of the PhD education.
The Steering Committee is responsible for the policies, the organization and the evaluation of the activities of CETRA. The Steering Committee consists of ten members:
- The honorary chairman
- The chairwoman
- 2 members of the subfaculty Literary Studies of the KU Leuven
- 2 members of the subfaculty Linguistics of the KU Leuven
- 2 members of the Department Applied Linguistics of Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel
- 2 members of the Department Applied Linguistics of University College Lessius
The Centre has its seat in the Erasmus building of the Faculty of Arts.
KU Leuven Faculty of Arts
Centre for Translation Studies
Blijde Inkomststraat 21, PB 3311
Tel: +32 16 324848